JKD & BJJ Black Belt
In the JKD portion of class we worked opposite leads and set-up the jab. If I'm right lead and my partner is left, I place my lead foot outside to his. When they jab I can cut that angle to deliver my eye or boxing jab.
From here we proceed to working the straight blast-trapping-headbutt knees elbows (HKE). We did this open hand essentially "slap boxing" inflicting pain, entering with the straight blast, adapting to the reference point presented either raising the arms and lop sao pok sao to HKE or the straight arm and then the arm wrench, groin shot, head butt series.
From hubud we worked on tai chi sails. If break this down into the essence of the martial art, dumong (Filipino joint grappling) is the art of pulling where tai chi is the art of pushing.
- Out of hubud, feed the backhand to enter into lop sao pok sao. Put the back of one hand on the chest, with the palm of the other on top of this hand. Settle weight, use both legs and arms to push. Follow and immediately return to hubud.
- Again out of hubud, pull partner off line, e.g. guide elbow with the same side hand or do an arm drag. Drop in behind partner, so that the anterior surface of your thigh is against the posterior side of his. Arm closest to partner is extended and at a downward angle. Transition from this "horse stance" (I cringe writing these words) to a lunge pushing with hips and shoulder. Follow and immediately return to hubud.
For BJJ today we worked on three takedowns. Basic set-up, with one underhook, put your leg on the centerline of your partner, your posterior to his anterior. Top of head into the side of his head, control far wrist if desired.
- Use hip bump and underhook to put weight on far leg, reach across and pick ankle.
- Use uchi mata or inside reap of near thigh to unbalance (if he falls great) then slide leg across behind far ankle and pick with your far hand. Slide the reaping leg, over his far thigh and sit through to pass.
- If opponent tries whizzer, use underhook to pop arm up, and secure grip on leg. Put top of head on pectoral line, and circle outside to inside, while "hiking the football" or step to outside, use thigh nearest foot to bump leg up, secure underhook on leg and dump.
Jack also referenced the old 90's vale tudo formula: Takedown/pull guard - pass or sweep to side mount - mount - punch. Stabilize each position and then start striking.